Diary of a Working Mom

2:21 PM

Some days I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I'm an esthetician and work part time at a local spa. I get to be at home with my toddler for the most part, but for 12 hours a week I get to wear makeup, clothes that I know wont be covered in some sort of bodily fluid or other child induced mess, and have adult conversation with my clients. Sounds like a lot of moms dream situation, and it kinda is mine too...but some days I feel like I'm stuck between working mom and stay at home mom and it's a weird feeling.

The working mom/feminist in me gets frustrated with my husband ALL.THE.TIME. Why is he complaining about his "long week"? Listen buddy, I know what it's like to work and I know what it's like to be at home...trust me, you don't know long week until you spend it with a teething 1 year old who doesn't want to be held, but doesn't want to be put down, wants to get out of the house, but hates the carseat, wants to go to the beach, but hates being told he will surely drown in the ocean if he continues to go out that far without letting me hold his hand...need I go on?

"Ok, then go back to work full time" he says
"I'll stay home with the baby and you can work" he says

Then I shut up...

Because the nurturing mommy in me loves being able to stay home with my little boy. I should be the one molding him into the man he will be. I should be the one teaching him how to walk, talk, climb the jungle gym. I could NEVER leave him full time.

So, I've been working on finding peace with my life as it is. I've been trying not to roll my eyes at my husband as much when he says he's tired. He is tired. Just like I'm tired. I've been trying not to complain as much about how draining it is to cater to a 1 year old all day...because I have chosen to be the one he drains.

Oh, lastly, I spend a lot of my day asking the mother gods for forgiveness as I spent most of my pre parental self mocking stay at home moms as if it wasn't the hardest EFFING thing in the world. Seriously, how did I not get punched back then?

How do you find balance in your work/mom/wife/lover/friend lives? Tell us here and follow along on Instagram for more of our crazy lives as two #mombies!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I feel the same way. I just wrote/vented two blog posts about it myself. It's hard to balance. I just have to plan ahead and make time for what I need then schedule what I want. Luckily my dad is local so he watches my baby a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea it's a hard balance Anna but I guess I should feel lucky right? I try to tell myself that on hard days! Praise be to all that is holy for local parents right?!?! how do people do it without them?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images